When I decided to start my blog I was so excited to talk about food, share recipes and of course discuss other interesting things that came up along the way. It’s been interesting posting pictures of food that I’ve prepared and meals I’ve had recently as they haven’t been under my alkaline/Paleo/gluten free lifestyle. I have been baking yummy things for coworkers (as requested) and haven’t posted about any of the healthy recipes that I actually prepare and consume on a consistent basis.
I did go to The Keg and had a healthy dinner (ignore the whipped and garlic butter on the side lol)
The steak was a MR-R filet mignon (sans bacon wrapped – who wraps a $30 steak in bacon?) grilled veggies and yes butter because that’s how I eat my steak. And I’m ok with it!
My wine: the glass on the right is a Cabernet Merlot – it was ok, nothing to write home about. But my Shiraz on the left was the last of the Mollydooker “The Boxer” Shiraz which is so delightful. The last time I had it was in Renton Washington (the middle of nowhere) at Melrose Grill. Absolutely AMAZING steakhouse; Worth stopping in on your way to Seattle.
On a typical day I would normally eat the following:
– egg whites with spinach – place egg whites and spinach in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for approximately 2 mins. Eat. You can add salt & pepper or ketchup or hot sauce to your liking.
– more recently I’ve been wanting smoothies – spinach, banana, almond milk, almond butter (fit2fat2fit’s spinach shake – sans protein powder) I prefer to eat protein hence the egg whites rather than use protein powder.
– raw peppers
– snap peas
– sometimes I have humus and think I need to start having it because of the protein
– sometimes a hard boiled egg
– I usually want something sweet by this time of day so I reach for fruit. I do need to add some light protein but the fruit seems to be satisfying enough
– romaine/spinach and raw veg
– tomato, cucumber, green onion
– homemade dressing – sometimes just some lemon and/or hot sauce
– sometimes lunch is leftovers from dinner (see below)
– chicken and vegetables – flavours will vary, veggies are typically asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, green beans
– taco salad – ground beef, beans (sometimes) salsa, avocado, lettuce
– pork chops and vegetables – I’m not enjoying pork lately so we haven’t been having this as often
– fish and veggies – same as above
– spaghetti squash – few different recipes, I will actually do a post on this soon!
– grilled eggplant – one of our faves!!
FYI: I don’t eat after dinner.
1 eggplant – sliced into quarter inch slices (you can make them thicker or thinner)
Juice of 2 lemons
Almost equal parts olive oil
Fresh garlic (I use lots!)
Fresh basil – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Brush marinade on the slices and bake in the oven – I’ll say 20mins then flip for another 20mins – this can vary – I usually go with 350 degrees
I make sure there is some garlic and basil on the eggplant as well so it gets roasted in there too
The remaining marinade can be used to store the left over eggplant for another day – or for pouring on top after its cooked.
Serve with fresh basil, tomato and feta cheese (I’ve done a vegan option where I had hummus instead of the feta)
It’s AMAZING on bread – sort of like a sandwich – and can easily be turned into a pasta!
Ciao for now,