My go to when I’m hungry and don’t always feel like cooking is anything that comprises of taco seasoning, cilantro and corn & beans! If you have any leftover vegetables and cilantro you can whip up a delicious meal in no time! The best part is that Mexican is easily done gluten free and has so many flavours and textures.
Today I couldn’t eat enough food. I had tons of healthy food but just wanted to eat all day. I knew I had all the fixings for something Mexican so decided to whip it up.
The beans, corn, cilantro and onion mix can be stored in a separate container and used for many things. In a salad, in a taco and like I did tonight on top of a yam.
The turkey is the same. Cooked in a pan with taco seasoning and added to any of the above. Then you can get creative with salsa, sour cream (Greek yogurt as a substitute) avocado or cheese. The yam, tortillas (my addiction) or even rice can be used to add some carbs or just have on some greens.
For the below picture I will list the ingredients.
- 1 can black beans (soak your own for a healthier option)
- 1 can corn
- Half bunch cilantro chopped
- 3-4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I make my own and will post the recipe)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 2 tablespoons salsa or fresh tomato
- 1 yam cooked and diced
- Optional: couple dollops yogurt/sour cream or sprinkle some cheese
- Heat the oil in a pan and add turkey. Cook part way then add the taco seasoning. Add additional for more flavour.
- While turkey is cooking prepare corn, beans, cilantro and onions.
- Cook yam. I’m a fan of just popping it in the microwave and then chopping it up in a bowl for serving.
- Top yam with cooked turkey (add cheese if you want so it melts a bit) then too with corn/bean mix. Add salsa and yogurt.