Pronounced: shack-shook-ah. This delicious, healthy and quick meal is a go to when I have leftover veggies, open jar of crushed tomatoes and a whack load of feta lying around.
Simple. Tasty and perfect for this rainy cold Thursday.
Ingredients (note I used whatever I already had in the fridge. If you have to buy the ingredients I will include the alternatives)
- Crushed tomato – half a jar. Or a large can of tomatoes (crushed diced whatever)
- Water – rinse the jar, add to about half full. If using canned tomatoes you may want/need less. It’s not a soup but more like a runny sauce.
- Olive oil few tablespoons
- Onion – half any onion dice it up
- Red Pepper (any pepper) you can get creative with zucchini or greens whatever is lying around diced
- Cumin – 2 teaspoons
- Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon (or use fresh)
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Feta cheese
- Herbs (typically parsley, in my case cilantro
- Eggs – 4 (this would do two people nicely if using only part of a can of tomatoes otherwise could feed up to 8. Adjust eggs accordingly)
- Toast with lots of butter
Sauté onions in olive oil (or fat of your choice) add veggies and cook till softened. Add tomato, water and spices. Bring to a boil then simmer. Once the sauce has thickened up and it tastes delicious add eggs slowly.
The eggs are poaching in the tomato sauce. After several minutes (gotta love how precise I am) gently spoon some the lighter liquid over top of the eggs. You can cover the pan to make it go more quickly or you can get your bread ready to toast and fold some laundry. Whatever you gotta do just let some time go by. When the eggs are almost ready too with crumbled feta and fresh herbs.
Serve with toast. Or perhaps some potatoes or I use gluten free corn tortillas which aren’t as great for sipping but still do the trick. Pita is nice too!
See the lighter liquid that’s what you want to spoon in top of the eggs to help the tops cook a bit.
This is gluten free rice bread that I love! And as you can see a ton of butter!
***for those doing the 21 day fix: .5 green, 1 red, 1 purple, 1 blue, 1 yellow***