I don’t even know where to start. It’s been a VERY long time since I’ve spent any time writing, recipe testing and motivating, through my blog!
Let’s start with where I left off!
I left off with an 11 week old puppy – who is currently sitting at 11 months and 80lbs!
I left off with keys to our new house and plans for renovations.
I left off with a recent engagement and upcoming wedding!
I won’t take up this whole post talking about all those things, we’d be here for a while.
So much has happened, so many learnings and experiences, tons of growth and new challenges, trust me when I say, so much has happened.
One new, big change is my way of eating (woe). I moved from alkaline, to paleo, to “I’m stressed” and eating whatever, to landing on the Ketogenic Diet (Keto). What is the Keto diet? Check out this link for a simplified explanation!
While we all know I LOVE fat, this takes things to a whole new level! In 4 weeks I have dropped 10lbs, have tons of energy, am eating less and no cravings. Update: I gained 15lbs from my original weight loss till the end of October from eating all the things. While I’d like to say I’m not focusing on the scale, I am a little bit, because I’d like to get to a new goal weight. While I intend to focus on how I feel and how my clothes fit, I do see some value in the scale given where I was last year.
What I learned about gaining 15lbs back after dropping 40lbs – was to appreciate how I looked and felt and not just focus on the scale. I wanted to be a certain number on the scale, meanwhile I was fit, toned and actually felt amazing. However, the number on the scale wasn’t “good enough”. I started sabotaging myself, stress got the best of me and BAM! 15 new lbs came crawling back. I’m grateful for this experience because I know the scale is only going to show me one part of my success. The new size clothes, the great sleeps and buckets of energy are far more exciting than a number on the scale. I’ve learned from this weight gain and I’m excited to continue shifting my thinking and see how my results show up this time around.
While I’ve had several fabulous Keto recipes this one stands out for sure! I recently whipped up this Keto friendly Spaghetti Squash Carbonara for dinner- it was DEEEElicious. I made a few modifications, cuz thats what I do 😉
Keto Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
adapted from: HugsandCookies
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small strips crosswise*
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic*
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen peas*(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and generously apply olive oil and salt and pepper on the inside.
- Roast on a foil lined pan 1 hour (I did longer and the squash was overcooked. Feel free to check it with fork and cook longer if need be.)
- Let cool a bit. Shred with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large sautee pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until it becomes crispy.
- Add the garlic. Sautee for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and cook until the liquid has completely evaporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs together with the cheese. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Combine the eggs with the bacon mixture, warming the eggs in the pan. (Do not let the eggs cook through.)
- Add the spaghetti squash and peas and toss to thoroughly combine until squash is heated through. Adjust seasoning, if necessary and serve immediately.
- I used 6 pieces of bacon – I like a lot of bacon in this dish so use as much as you see fit!
- I always do more garlic – I used about 8 cloves!
- Frozen peas – totally optional and adds a little pop of colour.
- I added grilled chicken on top – which I will do again next time.
- I also added extra cheese 🙂